Saturday, September 27, 2008
Coldplay essay
I read the Coldplay essay on page 281. If I were to grade this essay I would give it a borderline B/A. The student’s introduction was skillfully written to hook the audience. He left out the name of the group but instead included his description of them, which is the topic of the essay. He goes on to tell which group he is talking about and explains his “case against Coldplay.” His transitions are good, he is sufficiently verbose, and he seems to know a lot about not only groups but music in general. He explains the other side of the argument so as to refute it, which was good as well. The problem with this essay is the lack of evidence. When one talks of something as subjective as music, it is a good idea to include the critiques of other accomplished and knowledgeable enthusiasts with your same point of view. I cannot dock him much for this, though, because the arguments he does present are well constructed and knowledgeable. The problem is that this essay sounds more like a rant of distaste than a “case.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I read the essay also, and I must say that I somewhat agree with your critique. The essay truly lacked evidence to sustain its argument.
Post a Comment